May 17, 2007
Favorite Ingreditents Friday - Memorial Day Edition

Calico Beans

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 pkg. bacon (1 lb) -- use turkey for lower fat
1 medium onion, chopped

Brown above and then mix together:

1 large can pork and beans
2 cans of dark kidney beans

Mix these ingredients together:

1 c. ketchup
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 T. dry mustard
1 t. vinegar

After browning the meat and onion, mix all ingredients together and cook slowly until heated through or put on low in a slow cooker.

These beans are probably not the healthiest as far as sugar content -- but they are really, really good!
Visit Overwhelmed with Joy for more delicious recipes for summer!

I am going to share my low fat Pasta Salad recipe next -- I make this throughout the year, but especially for BBQs and potlucks. I usually do not bring any home, its so good!!

Labels: ,



8 comments:

Blogger Carey said...

This is a different recipe. Thanks for sharing it, im gonna try this one out, sounds good. Happy Friday.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Blogger Michelle said...

these beans sound very tasty! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle, those sound great! We LOVE beans....will have to give these a try sometime soon :)

Blogger Annie said...

Sounds good!
I love beans.
Blessings~
♥~annie
My Life as Annie!

Blogger Saved By Grace said...

I personally will say this is the best pasta I have ever eaten. Just like her bagels, and many other yummy recipes, I get to try and enjoy. I love it when you make this, hint hint!!

Blogger Joyful Days said...

I would think it could be done with turkey burger & the turkey bacon?? Looks like something to share with my sister & her family when they visit!

Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Oh wow, my dad used to make this for us as kids! I'd forgotten about that until now. I'm printing this one out.

Thanks so much for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

I hope to see you again next Friday!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer