September 20, 2007
Thankful Thursday -- Trading Our Sorrows
1 - To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
2 - A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3 - A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4 - A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5 - A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6 - A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
7 - A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8 - A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 (KJV)

I have so many thoughts going through my mind today -- I wish that they would just flow out through my fingers with elegance and grace.

I had the privilege of attending the Memorial Service for LTC Rocko V. Stowers, former Commandant of the 705th Military Police Battalion this morning.
His wife, a Colonel was serving in Iraq at the time of his death. He leaves behind 5 children and a host of friends and family. He always had a smile on his face and a joy that oozed from me every time I came in contact with him. Honestly -- I never thought about what it was, we never spoke of the Lord -- but he did have a faith and trust in God and was actually pretty vocal about it from the testimonies at the service.

As I was sitting there, not really knowing what to expect -- brothers and sisters from his church began to sing "Trading my Sorrows".

A lady in the front row with the family -- stood up and began to clap and worship with them -- now keep in mind, had this been in church, I would have stood right up! As a sat there almost feeling sorry for myself about my inability to give praise to the Lord. I mean "What would people think?" Here we were in the auditorium of the building where I work! {eye roll} Am I pathetic or what? I sat for a minute more -- but the Lord would not let it rest and I knew that I needed to be up on my feet. I told my co-worker. "I'm sorry, but I can't NOT get up."

I'm sure she was uncomfortable -- but there were many more that ended up standing and singing and clapping with the singers. Perhaps my little act of (delayed!) obedience will bring a yearning to her own life.

I'm am thankful for this time -- this season of life -- I may be struggling through it -- but there is a purpose this side of heaven.

I'm thankful for the seeds planted in our children -- since they were born -- and am rejoicing for the plants that will bloom in their lives.

I'm thankful that the Lord allowed me to be part of His kingdom -- and washed me white as snow and cleaned up my life.

I'm thankful for the tears I've shed -- both of joy and sorrow. I'm thankful for laughter and joy in the Lord.

I'm thankful the Lord showed me that I needed to keep silent in certain situations right now and allow Him to do the talking.

I'm thankful for the Lord, my husband, children, my church family, life, health and the joy of the Lord.

And as always, I am thankful for this community of bloggers who are an encouragement to me.

Visit Sting my heart for more Thankful Thursday praises!

Labels:



3 comments:

That was an awesome post!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle,

It is a blessing to know that your heart was touch in such away that you even wanted to stand, and then you answered His call. The Lord always meets us where we are. IT was not a mistake that you were there this morning or that I have found your blog. God has a reason for everything. Just know that there are believers all over praying for you, your families, and this world we live in. Ministers Stowers meant a lot to us. For most of us, he was our minister, teacher, and advisor and last but not least our friend. We well miss him but we know that he is now rejoicing with the angels and praise God like never before. We know that He is truly in the master’s presence.

Blogger Denise said...

Beautiful blessings to you always.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer